The “Fr. Dr. Isidor Todoran” Doctoral School of Orthodox Theology
The Doctoral School of Orthodox Theology was established in 1994.
- Its first professor was Dr. Ioan Ică Sr. who transferred from the “Lucian Blaga” University of Sibiu together with 10 doctoral students. (Fr. Dr. Ioan Ică Sr. had received the right to supervise doctoral theses since 1984).
- The first doctoral thesis of the Cluj-Napoca Faculty of Orthodox Theology was defended in 1998 by Archdeacon Ioan I. Ică Jr., Assistant Professor.
According to the legislation in force at that time, the School had professors tenured at the University of Bucharest until 1999. Hence, the following professors also worked in Cluj-Napoca:
- Dr. Dumitru Radu, Professor of Moral Theology, Social Aesthetics and Ethics,
- Emilian Popescu, Professor of the History of the Orthodox Romanian Church and Byzantine Studies,
- Dr. Nicu Moldoveanu, Professor of Church Music and Rite.
Since 1999, several tenured-professors of the Orthodox Faculty of Theology of Cluj-Napoca have been qualified to supervise doctoral theses:
- Dr. Alexandru Moraru, Professor of the History of the Orthodox Romanian Church and Palaeography (4189th MO/9th August 1999);
- Dr. Ioan-Vasile Leb, Professor of Church History (3982nd MO/11th June 2001);
- Dr. Vasile Stanciu, Professor of Church Music and Rite (4308th MO/28th August 2002);
- Dr. Stelian Tofană, Professor of Biblical Studies and New Testament Exegetics (4110th MO/5th June 2003);
- Dr. Valer Bel, Professor of Missiology and Ecumenism (4629th MO/7th September 2004);
- Dr. Ioan Chirilă, Professor of Old Testament, Biblical Archaeology and Classical Hebrew (1071st MO/15th May 2007);
- Archimandrite Dr. Teofil (Cristian) Tia, Professor of Pastoral Theology (166th MO/7th April 2014);
- Dr. Ștefan Iloaie, Professor of Christian Ethics (378th MO/15th July 2014);
- Dr. Gabriel Gârdan, Associate Professor of Church History;
- Dr. Patriciu Vlaicu, Associate Professor of Canon Law and Church Administration.
The following professors have transferred to the Doctoral School of Orthodox Theology of Cluj-Napoca as supervisors of doctoral theses:
- The Most Reverend Metropolitan Dr. Andrei (Ioan) Andreicuț, Professor of Orthodox Spirituality transferred to Cluj-Napoca in 2012 after having received the certification as supervisor of doctoral theses through the 5364th MO/6th October 2010 while he was a professor at the “1 Decembrie 1918” University of Alba Iulia;
- Dr. Vasile Gordon, Professor of Homiletics and Catechetic Studies transferred in 2013 after having received the certification as supervisor of doctoral theses through the 4807th/17th August 2005 while he was a professor at the “Justinian Patriarhul” Faculty of Orthodox Theology of the University of Bucharest.
The Doctoral School of the Faculty of Orthodox Theology of Cluj-Napoca was organized as it currently functions according to the legislation in force in 2007, bearing the name of Fr. Dr. Isidor Todoran.
- Dr. Alexandru Moraru (2007-2012);
- Dr. Ioan-Vasile Leb (2012-2017);
- Archimandrite Dr. Teofil Tia (2017-).